Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Rebbie Jackson coming back to the stage

  1. #1
    Larth Vader larth2thnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rebbie Jackson coming back to the stage

    Like all of Michael Jackson's eight brothers and sisters, Rebbie Jackson was crushed by the King of Pop's death June 25, 2009.

    But for Rebbie, the oldest sibling, it came at a particularly difficult time. After just a handful of concerts and recordings in a decade, Rebbie -- best known for her 1984 hit ''Centipede'' -- had recently ventured back into performing. She played a show in Scranton and had others scheduled when Michael died.

    ''It was the most horrible experience I've ever, ever, ever had in my life,'' Jackson, 59, says in a recent phone interview from her Las Vegas home. ''It was very difficult and it still is, because for each and every day you get up, I didn't know how to put one foot in front of the other one. I mean, I just couldn't function.''

    Ten months later, Rebbie (pronounced ''Ree-Bee'') will return to the stage -- again in Scranton -- on Saturday when she headlines ''A Nod to Greatness: Motown and More,'' a concert also featuring former Temptations lead singer Damon Harris and his tribute band at Lackawanna College's Mellow Theater.

    The concert will be the first by a member of the Jackson family in the United States since Michael's death (brother Tito has performed with Gladys Knight in Europe, she says.)

    But Rebbie emphatically says it won't be a tribute event for Michael.

    ''What I'm doing is my show that I normally perform when I'm touring or whenever I've done anything in the Vegas area,'' she says. She says she performs the songs of The Jackson 5 as well as Michael, ''but it's not a tribute to my brother Michael.''

    The low-profile show seems incongruous with the high-profile Jackson family, but it's consistent with Rebbie's sporadic career.

    By the time the Jackson 5 became a hit in 1969, Maureen ''Rebbie'' Jackson already was married to Nathaniel Brown and living in Kentucky. It wasn't until 1974, when she performed with the family in Las Vegas, and later on the CBS-TV show, ''The Jacksons,'' that Rebbie entered show business.

    Even then, she says, ''I made my own contacts and I recorded in different studios, and it was something that I did by myself without the assistance and help with my family at first. When I first came to California, nobody knew who I was or anything about me. I was a mystery to just about everybody, because most people didn't even know that the Jacksons had another sister.''

    She sang back-up for The Emotions and Grammy-winning R&B singer Betty Wright and worked with Isaac Hayes before starting to record a solo album. Before the disc was done, Michael -- flush off the huge success of his album ''Thriller'' -- stepped in to write and produce ''Centipede'' for her.

    ''What can I say?'' she says. ''When it comes to the music, when it comes to producing, singing as well as writing, he is incredible. He was incredible in the studio when I recorded 'Centipede.' ''

    The song hit No. 4 on the R&B chart and went gold. She had two more albums and two Top 20 hits, but by 1988 had largely left the music business to raise three children -- daughters Stacee and Yashi and son Austin ''Auggie'' Brown.

    Around the same time, the career of youngest sister Janet took off, with the release of her ''Control'' album and its hits ''Nasty'' and ''What Have You Done for Me Lately.'' It sold more than 5 million copies.

    It was 10 more years before Rebbie released ''Yours Faithfully,'' an album on Michael's MJJ Records label. For it, he wrote and produced the song ''Fly Away,'' and sang on the chorus, Rebbie says. Her children all contributed backing vocals, and Stacee's husband, Rex Salas, also appeared on the disc.

    But it did not hit the charts, and Rebbie worked only sporadically in the next 10 years -- there was a stint in Vegas and a 2008 appearance on hitmaking jazz producer/songwriter/musician Preston Glass's song ''Save the Stress for Last'' on his ''Music as Medicine'' album.

    In the meantime, Rebbie became a grandmother, and watched her son Austin and Salas make strides in music.

    Austin worked with Grammy-winning songwriter and producer Rodney Jerkins and other artists and hopes to have a disc out soon, Rebbie says. Salas was Janet Jackson's music director for years and worked with Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Cher and others, Jackson says.

    Like Rebbie, Michael was preparing for a series of comeback concerts when he died of an overdose of sedatives and painkillers. His doctor, Conrad Murray, was charged with manslaughter on Feb. 8.

    But she says it was Michael's private life as her brother, not his public personna, that she remembers.

    ''That's what the public has to realize; it's not always about his accomplishments and all that,'' she says. ''He was my brother. I used to walk Michael to school, and I used to walk him to my grandmother's house when he was a little bitty kid because my grandmother babysat him, and she lived a long ways away, and then I would go to a school that was close to her area. I was one of the ones that helped raise him.''

    Because of Rebbie's stability, in particular her 41-year marriage, she was reported to be the likely person to raise, and perhaps get custody of, Michael's children Prince, Paris and Blanket.

    ''Right now the children are at home with my mom in California, and I help out as much as I possibly can. ... I go back all the time,'' she says with a laugh. ''I've been away from home so much, but I'm there a lot, as much as I can be.''

    Three weeks ago, she was in public for the first time since Michael's death when she accompanied Janet to the New York premiere of Janet's movie ''Why Did I Get Married Too?''

    She says she's looking at her brother's legacy ''from a totally different perspective.''

    ''I was very reluctant, prior to now, to performing at all because I did not want to do anything; I personally didn't,'' she says. ''I've been offered opportunities to perform and I've turned them down. But now I feel comfortable -- it's been a substantial amount of time ... and I'm dealing with it and I feel OK right now.

    ''But even last night, since you asked me this question, I woke up, I think, around 3 in the morning. And I keep my TV on sometimes on the music channel -- Soundscape easy listening music. And I just started thinking about him and I couldn't stop. So it hurts.''

    http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/m...,7805877.story

  2. #2
    It's about LOVE. Dot #2916 RedCorvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    31,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    ''That's what the public has to realize; it's not always about his accomplishments and all that,'' she says. ''He was my brother. I used to walk Michael to school, and I used to walk him to my grandmother's house when he was a little bitty kid because my grandmother babysat him, and she lived a long ways away, and then I would go to a school that was close to her area. I was one of the ones that helped raise him.''


    I know what she means when she says she found it hard to get up in the morning and to put one foot in front of the other.......and how she started thinking about him and then couldn't stop. It must be soooo much worse for the family......I can't begin to imagine it.......but I do understand.
    ~~People may forget what you said, but they will never forget what you made them feel~~

  3. #3
    Let's Create History MoonwalkerJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Foreverland
    Posts
    2,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, its hard to imagine what the family are going through at this difficult time.

    Prayers and thoughts go out to the Jackson family xx

  4. #4
    He touches my shoulder Renee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,493
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are more of the types of interviews we need from the Jacksons, where Michael is simply remembered as a person, without any extemporaneous conspiracy theories or thoughts about his drug abuse.

  5. #5
    Gettin' them corners for PM since 2009 GlitterySocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Michaeling.
    Posts
    18,498
    Post Thanks / Like

    The sister who mothered Michael Jackson

    The sister who mothered Michael Jackson
    Rebbie Jackson helped raise her superstar brother. Now she speaks about his death.

    By JAMES FANELLI

    Last Updated: 7:50 AM, April 18, 2010


    The Jackson clan at home in Encino, Calif., in 1971. (From left) Jackie, Michael, unidentified relative, Joseph Jackson Sr., Katherine, Marlon, La Toya (in red dress), Randy, Tito, Rebbie and her daughter Stacee, Jermaine and Janet.


    Rebbie Jackson may be the least-known performer out of Michael Jackson’s siblings, but aside from his parents, she likely had the biggest influence on the King of Pop.

    When she was a teenager, her mother, Katherine, went back to school, leaving her — the oldest of the nine children — in charge of caring for the brood.

    “I’m very much the big sister,” Jackson tells The Post. “I helped raise a lot of them. I took care of them and administered the disciplinary action.”

    Memories of her role as caregiver in the family’s Gary, Ind., home came flooding back to Rebbie, 59, in the wake of Michael’s death on June 25.



    Rebbie Jackson with sister Janet at the New York screening of Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married Too"
    Dave Allocca/Startraksphoto.com


    “When he passed, I thought about him the way he was as a kid,” she says, recalling the iconic star’s cherubic smile that first brightened stages as a member of the Jackson 5 and later as a solo artist.

    After her brother overdosed on the powerful sedative Propofol, Rebbie, who lives with her husband, Nathaniel Brown, in Las Vegas, canceled a string of performances. She spent two and half months in California at her brother’s and mother’s estates, comforting her family. She also resumed her role as caregiver — this time tending to Michael’s children, Prince, 13; Paris, 12; and Blanket, 8.

    “I have to say, for a while, it was very difficult to listen to anything that Michael’s voice was on,” she says. “That’s pretty tough to escape. Everywhere you go — food markets, departments stores, TV and radio — they are playing his music.”

    Nearly a year later, Rebbie says she still wakes up in the middle of the night haunted by the circumstances surrounding his brother’s death. His doctor, Conrad Murray, currently awaits trial on manslaughter charges for his role in administering the fatal narcotic and facilitating the legendary singer’s addiction.

    “My brother had a problem with drugs, and he was in denial,” Rebbie says. “There were many interventions by the family members, and I was involved in a lot of that. It was such a sad thing and it hurt so bad.”

    Time has healed at least some wounds. She is back listening to her brother’s music, and she’s ready to sing. In her stage return, she will headline a tribute show to the Temptations at the Mellow Theater in Scranton, Pa. She plans to perform songs by the legendary Motown group, hits by the Gloved One and numbers from her own catalog.

    Rebbie got a later start in show business than her brothers. While they were dancing and singing as a group in the late 1960s and early 1970s, she was married and raising a family in Kentucky.

    She first performed with her siblings in 1974 at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, singing “Fever,” a sultry incantation that she plans on dusting off for the April 24 show.

    Rebbie recalls Michael bringing her the lyrics and the choreography before the show.

    “I learned that song actually on the set. He started chanting the lyrics,” she says. “When you are really involved with the music, it’s whatever comes out of your mouth.”

    The mother of three didn’t put out her first album, “Centipede,” until she was 34. Michael produced the record, which eventually went gold, and wrote some of the songs.

    Rebbie released three more albums — her last coming in 1998. The soulful chanteuse says she has no plans to release another one any time soon, but is hoping for a reunion tour with her siblings.

    “It’s not set in stone, but the sky is the limit,” she says. “I know it would be fun. That would be something I’d really love to be involved with.”

    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...#ixzz0lT1JQsoS

  6. #6
    Posting 'Till The Break Of Dawn Norii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    1,852
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterySocks View Post

    Rebbie Jackson with sister Janet at the New York screening of Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married Too"
    Dave Allocca/Startraksphoto.com
    Oh wow, the Jacksons are indeed a great-looking family! Look at Rebbie! I can't believe she's 59!!!!

    Absolutely gorgeous! and Janet .. well... UNF
    Hmm, we got a situation here. I'm way too HAWT!

  7. #7
    He touches my shoulder Renee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,493
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is one good-looking family!

    It appears I spoke too soon. I wonder what is prompting them to continue talking about MJ and drugs.

  8. #8
    Gettin' them corners for PM since 2009 GlitterySocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Michaeling.
    Posts
    18,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    That is one good-looking family!

    It appears I spoke too soon. I wonder what is prompting them to continue talking about MJ and drugs.
    I am wondering if it is strategy...like, let's all get the public used to the idea that Michael had a problem so it isn't so shocking during the trial. Perhaps they feel that this will allow them to focus on the facts of the case when the time comes and not deal with the shock and awe of Michael's extensive drug use coming out.

    I don't know if it is a good idea, or if it will work, but it could be their plan right now.....

  9. #9
    KEEPER OF THE COBRA MJsPYT777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    31,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterySocks View Post
    The sister who mothered Michael Jackson
    Rebbie Jackson helped raise her superstar brother. Now she speaks about his death.

    By JAMES FANELLI

    Last Updated: 7:50 AM, April 18, 2010


    The Jackson clan at home in Encino, Calif., in 1971. (From left) Jackie, Michael, unidentified relative, Joseph Jackson Sr., Katherine, Marlon, La Toya (in red dress), Randy, Tito, Rebbie and her daughter Stacee, Jermaine and Janet.


    Rebbie Jackson may be the least-known performer out of Michael Jackson’s siblings, but aside from his parents, she likely had the biggest influence on the King of Pop.

    When she was a teenager, her mother, Katherine, went back to school, leaving her — the oldest of the nine children — in charge of caring for the brood.

    “I’m very much the big sister,” Jackson tells The Post. “I helped raise a lot of them. I took care of them and administered the disciplinary action.”

    Memories of her role as caregiver in the family’s Gary, Ind., home came flooding back to Rebbie, 59, in the wake of Michael’s death on June 25.



    Rebbie Jackson with sister Janet at the New York screening of Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married Too"
    Dave Allocca/Startraksphoto.com


    “When he passed, I thought about him the way he was as a kid,” she says, recalling the iconic star’s cherubic smile that first brightened stages as a member of the Jackson 5 and later as a solo artist.

    After her brother overdosed on the powerful sedative Propofol, Rebbie, who lives with her husband, Nathaniel Brown, in Las Vegas, canceled a string of performances. She spent two and half months in California at her brother’s and mother’s estates, comforting her family. She also resumed her role as caregiver — this time tending to Michael’s children, Prince, 13; Paris, 12; and Blanket, 8.

    “I have to say, for a while, it was very difficult to listen to anything that Michael’s voice was on,” she says. “That’s pretty tough to escape. Everywhere you go — food markets, departments stores, TV and radio — they are playing his music.”

    Nearly a year later, Rebbie says she still wakes up in the middle of the night haunted by the circumstances surrounding his brother’s death. His doctor, Conrad Murray, currently awaits trial on manslaughter charges for his role in administering the fatal narcotic and facilitating the legendary singer’s addiction.

    “My brother had a problem with drugs, and he was in denial,” Rebbie says. “There were many interventions by the family members, and I was involved in a lot of that. It was such a sad thing and it hurt so bad.”

    Time has healed at least some wounds. She is back listening to her brother’s music, and she’s ready to sing. In her stage return, she will headline a tribute show to the Temptations at the Mellow Theater in Scranton, Pa. She plans to perform songs by the legendary Motown group, hits by the Gloved One and numbers from her own catalog.

    Rebbie got a later start in show business than her brothers. While they were dancing and singing as a group in the late 1960s and early 1970s, she was married and raising a family in Kentucky.

    She first performed with her siblings in 1974 at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, singing “Fever,” a sultry incantation that she plans on dusting off for the April 24 show.

    Rebbie recalls Michael bringing her the lyrics and the choreography before the show.

    “I learned that song actually on the set. He started chanting the lyrics,” she says. “When you are really involved with the music, it’s whatever comes out of your mouth.”

    The mother of three didn’t put out her first album, “Centipede,” until she was 34. Michael produced the record, which eventually went gold, and wrote some of the songs.

    Rebbie released three more albums — her last coming in 1998. The soulful chanteuse says she has no plans to release another one any time soon, but is hoping for a reunion tour with her siblings.

    “It’s not set in stone, but the sky is the limit,” she says. “I know it would be fun. That would be something I’d really love to be involved with.”

    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...#ixzz0lT1JQsoS


    Wow, she looks amazing!! And I've always loved Rebbie, we need more of this from the Jackson family instead of people saying what they think they know or etc. I'm not surprised that the media refuses or ignores anything that shows Michael as a human being, a loving father, brother etc. We need more stories like this.

  10. #10
    Posting 'Till The Break Of Dawn Celestina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    3,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonwalkerJo View Post
    I agree, its hard to imagine what the family are going through at this difficult time.

    Prayers and thoughts go out to the Jackson family xx
    Ditto
    To change the world is my deepest desire

Similar Threads

  1. Diana Ross Back on Stage
    By crillon in forum News
    Replies: 3
    : 03-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •