Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Bad' Jacket, Gloves & More Fetch Thousands At Michael Jackson Auction

Post Thanks / Like

'Bad' Jacket, Gloves & More Fetch Thousands At Michael Jackson Auction

LOS ANGELES Costumes worn by Michael Jackson commanded hundreds of thousands of dollars at auction, and Lady Gaga was among the collectors.

Gaga tweeted Sunday that she bought 55 pieces in the sale administered by Julien's Auctions and said she plans to keep the items "archived and expertly cared for in the spirit and love of Michael Jackson, his bravery and fans worldwide."

Auctioneer Darren Julien said the jacket Jackson wore during his "Bad" tour fetched $240,000. Two of Jackson's crystal-encrusted gloves sold for more than $100,000 each, as did other jackets and performance costumes.

The auction featuring the collection of Jackson's longtime costume designers Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush raised more than $5 million. Some proceeds benefited Guide Dogs of America and Nathan Adelson Hospice of Las Vegas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2230736.html

Post Thanks / Like
    So sad..I do hope Gaga holds onto her promise to preserve the items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im glad gaga got them, she seems to be a genuine fan and i would rather she have them than some unknown rich guy who hoards them in his room. I hope she plans to share them with the fams somehow.

Gettin' them corners for PM since 2009 GlitterySocks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Jackson fan Lady Gaga nets items at auction
    Julien's Auctions sale fetches more than $5M US
    CBC News
    Posted: Dec 3, 2012 12:41 PM ET
    Last Updated: Dec 3, 2012 2:24 PM ET

Lady Gaga, seen in Milan in October, confirmed she purchased 55 items from an auction of Michael Jackson's costumes and memorabilia on Sunday. Lady Gaga, seen in Milan in October, confirmed she purchased 55 items from an auction of Michael Jackson's costumes and memorabilia on Sunday. (Luca Bruno/Associated Press)

Julien's Auctions - The Collection of Thompkins & Bush: Michael Jackson

(Note:CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.)

Lady Gaga was among the winning bidders at a weekend auction of Michael Jackson costumes and memorabilia, with the fashion-obsessed pop singer picking up dozens of collectibles.

Lots from the Julien's Auctions-administered sale toured earlier this year with stops in Chile, the U.K., Japan and the U.S. prior to Sunday's auction in Los Angeles.

According to auctioneer Darren Julien, sale highlights included $240,000 US paid for a jacket the King of Pop wore on his Bad tour, and two of the crystal-studded gloves favoured by Jackson (one hailing from his landmark 1983 performance at the Motown 25 show) that fetched more than $100,000 US each.

In this composite image, the late Michael Jackson is seen performing at the 1995 MTV Video Music awards in New York. The black fedora he wore for the Billie Jean solo dance segment, a gift from his clothing designer, Michael Bush, was part of a weekend auction of Jackson's costumes and memorabilia in Beverly Hills, Calif. In this composite image, the late Michael Jackson is seen performing at the 1995 MTV Video Music awards in New York. The black fedora he wore for the Billie Jean solo dance segment, a gift from his clothing designer, Michael Bush, was part of a weekend auction of Jackson's costumes and memorabilia in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Frank Micelotta/Julien's Auctions/Getty Images)

The lots available for sale, part of Julien's annual Icons & Idols auction, also included:

The black fedora Jackson wore during his opening performance at the 1995 MTV Music Awards.
    The Recording Industry Association of America platinum record award for his album Bad.
    Signed photos and set pieces from music videos.
    Full outfits and clothing ensembles Jackson wore in music videos, during concert tours and for promotional photo shoots.

The memorabilia came from the collection of costume designers Dennis Thompkins and Michael Bush, who worked with Jackson for years and to whom he gave many of his outfits. The pair also published the book The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson, released this fall.

On Sunday, Lady Gaga posted a photo of the numbered paddle she had been assigned for the auction and confirmed via Twitter that she had purchased 55 pieces in the sale. The items "will be archived and expertly cared for in the spirit and love of Michael Jackson, his bravery and fans worldwide," she wrote.

Overall, the auction raised more than $5 million US, with some proceeds earmarked for charity.

Jackson died in June, 2009, at age 50. Dr. Conrad Murray, the doctor overseeing him for a series of London concerts, was convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Randy Jackson, one of the brothers of the late entertainment icon, criticized the auction sale.

"Am I the only one who thinks this auction is a fraud and a scam?" he posted on his Twitter account on Friday.

"It's sad to see the estate's latest attempt to auction off our history."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/20...lady-gaga.html

Post Thanks / Like
    "It's sad to see the estate's latest attempt to auction off our history."
    Our history? Is he speaking of black entertainment history, or taking credit for Michael's achievements?

Post Thanks / Like
    There were a lot of his signed shoes I would have liked a pair of his Florsheim loafers that were signed they all went over estimated bids 10,000.00 to 15,000.00. Thompkins and Bush bought some of these pieces and a lot were given to them by Michael. I'am sure Lady GaGa could have bought the whole auction if she wanted. Most of the items were signed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthodiva View Post
    Our history? Is he speaking of black entertainment history, or taking credit for Michael's achievements?

~ Get your Bottocks to the House ~ Marissa87's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MJsPYT777 View Post
    So sad..I do hope Gaga holds onto her promise to preserve the items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Im glad gaga got them, she seems to be a genuine fan and i would rather she have them than some unknown rich guy who hoards them in his room. I hope she plans to share them with the fams somehow.
    I trust Gaga waaaay more than I trust any of Michael's siblings so that says something.

Damn, everything Michael touches is gold. Crystal-studded glove for $100,000 each?? Get out of here!
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdxt67va7v1qh7ov5o2_r1_250.gif
    Dot Number: 240,645

Post Thanks / Like
    Lady GaGa has this devotion,respect and loyalty to her fans.She works hard,donates to charity and has many of Michaels characteristics.Im delighted shes bought the items and confident she will treat Michael and the fans with the same traits of Love and loyalty
    http://media.giphy.com/media/2zDx28kDkDVJe/giphy.gif

It's about LOVE. Dot #2916 RedCorvette's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marissa87 View Post
    I trust Gaga waaaay more than I trust any of Michael's siblings so that says something.
    I trust her, too. I think she is sincere.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenvalek View Post
    Lady GaGa has this devotion,respect and loyalty to her fans.She works hard,donates to charity and has many of Michaels characteristics.Im delighted shes bought the items and confident she will treat Michael and the fans with the same traits of Love and loyalty
    Lady GaGa models her career on Michael's, I'm convinced. She tries to foster the same love and connection between herself and her fans, that Michael had with his fans. She has spoken of Michael's "bravery" before. I think it's a very interesting choice of words to describe him and it indicates that she is insightful, when it comes to him. He was brave. He was artistically brave and personally brave. He had a strength of character that was brave. He stayed true to himself and his personal convictions for all of his life. He once said, "When the whole world says 'No', that's when you say 'Yes'." It's brave, to stand alone, like that. GaGa understands it. I'm certain she'll take care of the items, just as she has promised.
    ~~Every page you turn you're writing your legacy~~

Post Thanks / Like
    Inside Michael Jackson's $5 Million Memorabilia Auction

Zack O'Malley Greenburg, Forbes Staff

Inside Michael Jackson's $5 Million Memorabilia Auction

Two decades ago, costume designer Michael Bush created an ornate fencing jacket for Michael Jackson to wear on tour. Fittingly enough for the King of Pop, the gilded garment echoed ones worn by European monarchs of old. Bush and his partner, the late Dennis Tompkins, overnighted their creation to Jackson when it was done.

Two days later, though, Bush received a call from the singer. He was elated by the creation, but there was a slight problem. “I gave away your coat,” Jackson said. “I need another one.” That was when Bush and Tompkins decided to start documenting their work.

“We just started taking photos with detailed shots of everything, for fear that he was going to come back and want a duplicate made,” Bush recalls. “And at one point he saw these hundreds of 35-millimeter slides I had, just for research for us for security blanket, and he kept on saying, ‘You should do a book!”

Bush finally ended up publishing that tome, a generously-proportioned coffee-table book called The King of Style, last month. Many of the items depicted on its pages—including the aforementioned fencing jacket—were sold yesterday by Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills, Calif.

The hundreds of items on the block generated over $5 million, easily besting expectations of $1-$2 million. A portion of proceeds from the auction will be donated to Guide Dogs of America and the Nathan Adelson Hospice in Las Vegas.

Many of the pieces sold for six figures, including a jacket from Jackson’s Bad tour ($240,000), two of his bedazzled white gloves ($192,000 and $115,200), a jacket worn by Jackson on a visit to the White House in the 1990s ($144,000), and another jacket signed and worn by the singer ($156,000).

“Most of this stuff in the auction has been under my bed, in a closet, sometimes in a garage,” says Bush. “Nobody saw [it]. This way, it’s out in the world like his music is. … It will be spread, hopefully, all over the world. Because, unfortunately, if it all went into one museum, if you’re not in that one city, you never get to experience it.”

Even so, some Jackson fans have expressed concern that the items sold at auction will be squirreled away by private collectors, hidden forever from those who’d like see the pieces with their own eyes. Not to worry: Lady Gaga was among the bidders on Sunday, buying 55 pieces, and hinted that she’d be willing to display them.

A fashion diva in her own right, Gaga tweeted that she plans to keep all the Jackson items she acquired “archived and expertly cared for in the spirit and love of Michael Jackson, his bravery and fans worldwide.”

Indeed, Bush himself pointed out that many of the items auctioned off will need to be preserved by professionals if they’re to stand the test of time.

“It’s fabric, it will eventually break down if it’s not preserved correctly,” he says. “This is like Tutankhamun’s tomb, and hopefully it can be saved like that stuff was. It’s like a lost treasure that’s being preserved, and everyone can experience what this is.”

Still, the auction’s $5 million haul is barely a blip next to the sums of money being generated by the sale of Jackson’s music and the continued success of his business assets. Buoyed by recent projects including Cirque du Soleil’s Michael Jackson Immortal World Tour and old holdings like the singer’s 50% stake in the Sony/ATV publishing catalog, the estate pulled in $145 million over the past year alone.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomal...bilia-auction/