Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teacher deletes "God" lyric from "We Are The World"

Post Thanks / Like

Teacher deletes "God" lyric from "We Are The World"

Worldly: Albemarle County teacher deletes “God” lyric from “We Are The World”
    By Schilling Show on Apr 18, 2012

Within weeks of a national scandal at Stall Brook Elementary School in Bellingham, Massachusetts—where an overzealous government school official removed “God” from Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA”—a local teacher has performed her own secular exorcism on another popular song.

For an upcoming 4th and 5th grade performance at Albemarle County’s Broadus Wood Elementary School in central Virginia, music teacher, Jean Flaherty, has altered a key line from the 1985 Michael Jackson / Lionel Richie composition, “We Are The World.” In an effort to avoid offending non-believers, Flaherty overtly removed lyrical reference to “God.”

The second half of the first verse, as composed by Jackson and Richie, reads:

We can’t go on pretending day by day
    That someone, somewhere will soon make a change
    We are all a part of God’s great big family
    And the truth, you know,Love is all we need

[emphasis added]

Flaherty’s edited version changed the third line:

We are all a part of one great big family
    [emphasis added]

Seeking to further shelter her students from Biblical assault, Flaherty made an additional exchange. In a semblant reference to Matthew 4:3, wherein the devil asks Jesus to prove his divinity by turning stone to bread (Jesus did not succumb), the original lyric for verse three, says:

Send them your heart so they’ll know that someone cares
    And their lives will be stronger and free
    As God has shown us by turning stones to bread
    So we all must lend a helping hand

[emphasis added]

Unable or unwilling to subtly alter this (somewhat convoluted) Biblical reference, Ms. Flaherty substituted a god-less verse re-written for We Are The World 25 For Haiti:

So their cries for help will not be in vain
    We can’t let them suffer; no we cannot turn away
    Right now, they need a helping hand

[emphasis added]

While instructor Flaherty reportedly has told concerned, inquiring parents that their kids are allowed to sing “God” in the modified verse if they so choose, the official lyric sheet does not reflect such an option. And, due to social/peer pressures extant in modern-day government schools, few children are likely to deviate from the rehearsed and distributed lyric in order to vocalize “God” over the suggested “one.”

Lost in the shuffle to shutter references to the Creator are the kids who actually believe that they are children of God, and for whom such blatant redaction, is itself, highly offensive.

There are many god-free alternatives that Ms. Flaherty could have chosen to emphasize the commonality of man, but in selecting a song that was too “offensive” to sing publicly without substantive modification, Flaherty has proven herself utterly tone-deaf to the sensibilities and presentiments of America’s vocal religious remnant.

source: http://www.schillingshow.com/2012/04...221;/#comments

--------------------------------
    I don't think Michael would have approved of these lyric edits. I'm an atheist, and I don't agree with these changes. The song is a classic and should be left as it was written.

Here's one comment from a student in the class:
    "I am actually a student of Mrs. Flaherty’s, and me and a couple of my friends went up to her, and asked why she changed it, and she said that if it was something like a hymn, then she would leave God in it. I am still singing it the right way no matter what she says."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kriash View Post

Within weeks of a national scandal at Stall Brook Elementary School in Bellingham, Massachusetts—where an overzealous government school official removed “God” from Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA”—a local teacher has performed her own secular exorcism on another popular song.

For an upcoming 4th and 5th grade performance at Albemarle County’s Broadus Wood Elementary School in central Virginia, music teacher, Jean Flaherty, has altered a key line from the 1985 Michael Jackson / Lionel Richie composition, “We Are The World.” In an effort to avoid offending non-believers, Flaherty overtly removed lyrical reference to “God.”

[emphasis added]

[emphasis added]

Seeking to further shelter her students from Biblical assault, Flaherty made an additional exchange. In a semblant reference to Matthew 4:3, wherein the devil asks Jesus to prove his divinity by turning stone to bread (Jesus did not succumb), the original lyric for verse three, says:

[emphasis added]

Unable or unwilling to subtly alter this (somewhat convoluted) Biblical reference, Ms. Flaherty substituted a god-less verse re-written for We Are The World 25 For Haiti:

[emphasis added]

While instructor Flaherty reportedly has told concerned, inquiring parents that their kids are allowed to sing “God” in the modified verse if they so choose, the official lyric sheet does not reflect such an option. And, due to social/peer pressures extant in modern-day government schools, few children are likely to deviate from the rehearsed and distributed lyric in order to vocalize “God” over the suggested “one.”

Lost in the shuffle to shutter references to the Creator are the kids who actually believe that they are children of God, and for whom such blatant redaction, is itself, highly offensive.

There are many god-free alternatives that Ms. Flaherty could have chosen to emphasize the commonality of man, but in selecting a song that was too “offensive” to sing publicly without substantive modification, Flaherty has proven herself utterly tone-deaf to the sensibilities and presentiments of America’s vocal religious remnant.

source: http://www.schillingshow.com/2012/04...221;/#comments

I don't think Michael would have approved of these lyric edits. I'm an atheist, and I don't agree with these changes. The song is a classic and should be left as it was written.

"I am actually a student of Mrs. Flaherty’s, and me and a couple of my friends went up to her, and asked why she changed it, and she said that if it was something like a hymn, then she would leave God in it. I am still singing it the right way no matter what she says."
    ^ Good on ya, girl.
    And when the groove is dead and gone, you know that love survives

Post Thanks / Like

[emphasis added]

[emphasis added]

[emphasis added]

[emphasis added]

source: http://www.schillingshow.com/2012/04...rld”/#comments

That is absolutely the most ridiculous stupidity I have heard in a while! Don't even get me started!!! I hope all the students ignore this teacher and sing the inspiring lyrics that Michael and Lionel so thoughtfully and lovingly wrote!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't see the point in altering the lyrics of a song like that. I'm an atheist and have no probs whatsoever with the lyrics, or singing along with it doing the washing up or whatever so why would anyone else? This world is bloody silly sometimes.

#MJPERV

~ Get your Bottocks to the House ~ Marissa87's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also not religious and I find that absolutely absurb. Saying 'God' in a song =/= praying.

hallelujah by leonard cohen is one of my all time favorite songs! I would never not sing it, or not listen to it cuz it has the word 'hallelujah' in it.

Lionel and Michael wrote that song with the entire world in mind. No matter religion, race, nationality. Essentially this teacher is doing the EXACT opposite of that.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdxt67va7v1qh7ov5o2_r1_250.gif
    Dot Number: 240,645

Post Thanks / Like

[emphasis added]

[emphasis added]

[emphasis added]

[emphasis added]

source: http://www.schillingshow.com/2012/04...rld”/#comments

UGH! This stuff just urks me to the core everytime I see it!

Who has the right over anyone else to determine who will be offended and who will not be offended? Last time I looked this was still a free country isn't it?

What about offending "the believer's" that doesn't matter anymore?

Why is it ok to offend the "believer's" but it is not ok to offend "the non-believer's?"

Never mind the feeling's of the author's of the The Bible, The United States Pledge of Allegiance, the lyric's of endless music and countless other book's and writing's throughout history!

When does someone choose and care if any of them are offended?

Talk about a double standard!

If your offended don't read, listen or participate, simple as that!

Then the icing on the cake is these same people speculate and worry about what has become of the world these day's!

Well Gee! I Wonder!

We offended believer's can only pray to God they will receive their ultimate offense one day!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    Dot#280013

7. Thanks ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell58 View Post
    UGH! This stuff just urks me to the core everytime I see it!

Who has the right over anyone else to determine who will be offended and who will not be offended? Last time I looked this was still a free country isn't it?

What about offending "the believer's" that doesn't matter anymore?

Why is it ok to offend the "believer's" but it is not ok to offend "the non-believer's?"

Never mind the feeling's of the author's of the The Bible, The United States Pledge of Allegiance, the lyric's of endless music and countless other book's and writing's throughout history!

When does someone choose and care if any of them are offended?

Talk about a double standard!

If your offended don't read, listen or participate, simple as that!

Then the icing on the cake is these same people speculate and worry about what has become of the world these day's!

Well Gee! I Wonder!

We offended believer's can only pray to God they will receive their ultimate offense one day!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    ABSOLUTELY!! Very well stated! You took the words right out of my mouth!
    Michael's message was always about unity and loving each other no matter any person's race, creed, or nationality. He cared deeply about freedom and justice for people from every corner of the world! Maybe this teacher needs to listen to more of Michael's music and learn something about LOVE!!

Posting 'Till The Break Of Dawn rockinrobin337's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand that we have to respect other religions (etc.) but I find it ridiculous when schools begin taking away any religious content (usually 'God') out of songs. There's a point where it's gone too far. I think there was a point where some schools wanted to change the lyrics of the Canadian national anthem to eliminate any religious references.

Don't touch We Are The World! :P
    'Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream...'

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG...you gotta be kidding me. This teacher sucks. Way to incorporate religious acceptance into your curriculum, eh? You know who was offended...the teacher! That's why she did that. I'm so tired of people butchering songs, novels, etc. due to their own insecurities. It's "We Are The World"...come on! For many, God represents a divine being, not necessarily a "religious" entity. Of course God is a part of religion for most people, but in popular culture we toss around "God" a lot (e.g., OMG). Plus, I'm sure Mike and Lionel weren't sitting around thinking, "Yea, how can we get people to convert to Christianity." LOL

Furthermore, God is good, God is great!!!

11. Thanks ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ thanked for this post
    It's about LOVE. Dot #2916 RedCorvette's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL at the student: "I'm still singing it the right way, no matter what she says." You tell 'em kid!!
    ~~Every page you turn you're writing your legacy~~