Thread: Did Muammar Gaddafi Influence Michael Jackson's Sense of Style?

Captain EOs Sexy Sidekick Frodes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Muammar Gaddafi Influence Michael Jackson's Sense of Style?

This should make for interesting discussion.

Did Muammar Gaddafi Influence Michael Jackson's Sense of Style?
    Written by Alicia on Apr-26-11 1:38pm

It's safe to assume that the Costume Institute at New York's Metropolitan Museum won't be showcasing Libyan dictator Muammar el-Gaddafi's "breathtaking sartorial magnificence" anytime soon. But that doesn't mean Gaddafi's people aren't trying.

This week, the New York Times ' Horatio Silva published a letter from an aide to Libyan's Minister for Cultural Affairs on the T Magazine blog. Apparently Mr. Silva was invited on an all expenses paid trip to Tripoli to "peruse" Gaddafi's extensive clothing collection. The aide noted that Gaddafi is concerned about his legacy, and is therefore open to having his fancy finery displayed in a Met Museum retrospective.

Of particular note is the writer's insistence that Gaddafi's "superior dress sense" has influenced some of our greatest pop culture icons:

"It is not only African and Arab leaders who have been influenced by his style and substance but many western rock stars and celebrities have also been won over by the Gaddafi look: most notably Michael Jackson in the 1980s copied the signature motif military style of our leader to great chart success on his own terms."

Interesting! It's a real shame Michael Jackson isn't around to elaborate on just how much his style was influenced by a flashy Libyan dictator.

http://www.stylebistro.com/Daily+Dis...ichael+Jackson

Post Thanks / Like
    Ummmm..... lol. I think, if anything, it's the other way around!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just Googled Muammar Gaddafi 1982 photos and after several disgusting minutes of viewing pics I can safely say that no, Michael was not inspired by this. One flashy military uniform and lots of strange (not interesting or inspired, just strange).
    Get off the bandwagon, dude. It's crowded enough as it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthodiva View Post
    I just Googled Muammar Gaddafi 1982 photos and after several disgusting minutes of viewing pics I can safely say that no, Michael was not inspired by this. One flashy military uniform and lots of strange (not interesting or inspired, just strange).
    Get off the bandwagon, dude. It's crowded enough as it is.
    I just did the same annnnd no, he definitely wasn't inspired by him... I think Ivy is right, it's the other way around, bahaha
    DANGEROUSSSS~

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought so too immediately Ivy.